If going to New York City isn’t in the cards for you right now don’t worry. You can experience a slice of it from the comfort of your own living room thanks to our list of NYC flicks. To be honest they are mostly chick flicks but hey, we aren’t apologizing!
- Breakfast At Tiffany’s: This is such a fun and bizarre film. Audrey Hepburn is a complicated and elegant character that we can’t help but love. The city really sparkles here and I think every girl wants to eat a donut while gazing into the Tiffany’s window.
2. Rear Window: Such a classic. This is about as thrilling of a movie I can watch. Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly. Enough said. While this is technically filmed on a set not in NY it shows the ins and outs of apartment living in Greenwich Village.
3. One Fine Day: This film basically has NYC as a third main character. They try to sell the city hard here and they succeed. It is tricky making NYC look appealing in rainy weather but really it’s magic.
4. You’ve Got Mail: Who doesn’t adore this movie? Nora Ephron shows NYC in every season which I love. Friends and I have talked about going on an actual YGM fan tour. Sign me up.
5. Hitch: This is one of our dads favorite movies. It gets us every time. Albert sitting on the stairs outside the MET with the hot dog? Come on people.
6. Newsies: Okay, it was probably filmed in LA on a set but we are still including it! “Open the gates and cease the day!”
7. West Side Story: Another classic. Great music, great dancing and a great/sad/compelling story. Such a great Romeo and Juliet tale.
8. Sabrina: This film takes place both in the Hamptons and in Manhattan so it is a win/win. Plus Audrey again. She is lovely.
9. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days: Funny, awkward, cute clothes and Kate Hudson. “Nuff said.